International Student Code of Conduct
International students must act in a way that meets the four key school values of Manaakitanga, Sauni, Excellence and Perseverance. See the Aotea College values chart.
International Students enrolled at Aotea College are expected to:
· Attend all lessons unless the absences are justified or approved by the school. This is a condition of the Student Visa issued by Immigration New Zealand.
· Abide by all laws of New Zealand. This includes:
o Not illegally using, purchasing or possessing alcohol, drugs, cigarettes or other controlled substances.
o Not engaging in inappropriate physical contact with others.
o Not illegally downloading or sharing digital or any harmful material.
o Not be in paid employment without a relevant visa allowing employment.
· Have no involvement with alcohol, drugs or cigarettes (including vaping) regardless of age.
· Live in school approved accommodation and gain approval for all overnight stays.
· Abide by all guidelines, rules, policies and procedures set out by the International Department
· Abide by all rules of their homestay family including curfews.
· Behave appropriately, take care of safety of self and others.
· Be honest and cooperative with Aotea College staff.
· Maintain academic integrity in all school work, with regard to plagiarism and authenticity in particular.
· Maintain a positive and respectful online presence including social media posts and comments.
· Obtain written permission from parents and Aotea College prior to obtaining any tattoos, piercings or other bodily embellishments.
· Students under 18 are not permitted to use rideshare services, such as Uber or Ola.
· Students must not get married.
Driving in New Zealand
· International students must not own or drive a motor vehicle while enrolled at Aotea College.
· International students must ensure drivers hold a full license before travelling in their vehicle.
Travel and Holidays
All holiday and travel arrangements must be approved by the International Department before bookings are made.
· Students will need to provide all details of accommodation, itinerary, and contact details to the International Department for the approval of any trip.
· Overnight stays, including local stays, can only be in accommodation approved by Aotea College.
· International Students are not allowed to travel independently outside of the Greater Wellington Region while they are enrolled at Aotea College.
· Students may travel with their host families during weekends or school holidays.
· Students may go on an organized tour with a travel company approved by Aotea College during school holidays.
· Trips during term time will not usually be approved, except for school organized trips.
· Participation in extreme sports not covered by the student’s insurance policy will not be approved by Aotea College.
· Students are not permitted to hitchhike while enrolled at Aotea College.